Every year I try to make my schedule work to make some yummy treats for St. Patrick’s Day. This year I had time and I thought I would share the process with you.
End results…But let’s start at the beginning!
Irish Soda Bread
2 cups of all purpose flour
3 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2-3/4 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup raisins
Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Par boil raisins for 5-10 mins until softened
3. In large bowl sift together dry ingredients
4. Add butter (use a wooden spoon for some reason it works better then others)
5. Add buttermilk
6. Add raisins
7. Place on floured surface and kneed and shape into a round loaf
8. Using a sharp knife lightly put a cross on the top of the loaf and brush with beaten egg
9. Bake for 35-45 minutes
A great way to tell of the loaf is done is to flip it over and tap. If the loaf sound hallow, you are good to go! Enjoy and have a great St. Patty’s Day!