#7 Learn to Cook! So because we are always home now I am getting better at cooking more…because we have no choice! I got an instant for my birthday and I have been trying new things with it as much as I can. Here is what I have tried!
Meatballs! I am a big fan of Italian and I love meatballs! In the instapot I can make meatballs in 10 minutes! It was super easy and sooooo good! Raw meat, sauce, and a little water for 10 minutes! Win Win Win!
I also made roasted potatoes! I know it doesn’t sound big to most people, but I don’t really cook and I want to change it! I have a super weird allergy to potato skins and raw potatoes. I have learned that white potato skins are ok! So I make sure to buy that kind when I can. Russet potatoes…those kill me a little! This week I am going to make some bread and I have an amazing looking strawberry donut recipe I plan to try next week….If I can get what I need at the grocery store! One of the perks of COVID 19
So COVID 19 has put a little wrinkle in my 20 in 20 plan! Numbers 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20…to name a few! But here is the update on a few others!
#4 Start and Finish My Master’s Degree! I can’t believe it but I am almost 1/2 way done with my program. Masters of Arts in Human Services Counseling: Marriage and Family. The first term almost killed me a little! I had one professor who was super tough and demanded SO much. But in the end, he made me a better student and helped me raise my standard for myself and my work. So, in the end, I am thankful, but in those moments…I wanted to die a little!
Because of how the program runs, I could finish another degree while I am at it. I haven’t decided what I want my focus to be, but I am thinking about either Military Resilience or Executive Leadership. I have till the Fall to decide, so I am doing some research into which would be best for me. So hard to believe that I am 1/2 way done! Lord give me the strength to make it through!
Run a 1/2 Marathon…and try not to die a little! Well, I did “run” it and I did not die…but I did not finish!
“Do you wanna build a snowman?” or more like “Do you wanna run a 1/2 marathon?”, is what I said to BFF Carissa. The idea of doing a Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon has always been in the back of my mind until one day last year, I pulled the trigger and made a call to Carissa and the next thing we know….we are running a 1/2 marathon.
Things I have learned from this 2020 Princess Marathon.
You need to find someone as crazy as you to do this with you! I can’t imagine doing this race alone. I know 100% when my alarm went off at 2:00 am to get up and get ready, I would have shut it off and went back to bed! So find your crazy friend and run together!
Costumes! Sometimes your crazy friend is not a “princess” type person, but if you just send them things to wear, they will…because they love you! Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon is all about the costumes…all about the inner princess in you! So costumes are super important! I would normally go with my favorite princess and that would be Cinderella, even though I have red hair. But my friend has blonde hair and I have red hair, so the choice was clear….we needed to be Anna and Elsa from Frozen! Seeing as my friend is not into costumes, I will not post a full picture of her in it, but here are our costumes laid out.
3. Train, Train, Train! I can’t stress this enough! But most importantly train correctly! I only trained with 3-mile intervals, for a 1/2 marathon you should train with 5…who knew? I guess everyone knew but me!
4. Stay in the Disney resorts! People look for better deals to stay off-site but I think it’s foolish! Pay the little extra, you will be happy! Only having to roll out of bed and drag yourself to the bus at 3 AM is much better than having to drag yourself to your car, drive, park, and WALK at 2 AM! Also….pray for the premium room! Trust me after running 13.1 miles the last thing you want to do is walk 1 mile to your hotel room! Because truthfully you don’t just do 13.1 miles. Its 1 mile to the bus, 1 mile from the bus to the check-in, 3 miles from the check in to the corral, 1/2 mile from the corral to the starting line, 13.1 miles for the race, 1 mile to the busses and another mile to your hotel room! So that is 19.1 miles…they don’t give you special metals for that! Pay the extra $30 a day! So worth it!
5. Be smart about the miles you put on in the parks before the race! We hit the parks HARD before the race. When I do this again….I can’t believe I said that….but when I do this again, I will come in a day or 2 before the race and not go to the parks. I will go after. It is so hard because the draw to magic is so strong. It’s almost like you can touch it, but wisdom is, save your feet! Hit the parks after. The whole 5 days we were there we did 51 miles total! Or that is what my apple watch told me. 51 MILES! That is whack-a-do! 30 of those miles were pre-race. So that is a lot on your feet before you decide to run 13.1 miles!
6. Go back to the resort after the race! I am not a runner and I knew bouncing back after the race might be difficult. So we went right back to the hotel after the race. We took a hot shower, some pain meds, and a nap! Carissa went poolside for a rest and I chose to stay in the room. I also had to write a paper for grad school, that was not wisdom! It made no sense when I was done. The professor contacted me and said…what did you just send me? I honestly had no idea! The next morning we hit the parks and I also regret that a little. We should have rested the next day and not do another 13 miles that day. I was soooooooo tired! I was not sore, that I recovered well, I was just exhausted. The idea of laying down in the middle of Main Street and taking a nap sounded like the best idea ever! But that is how a non-runner felt, you might not feel the same way!
7. Smart Shoes over Cute Shoes! I think this might be the biggest struggle in my whole life! I just want cute shoes always and my feet hate me and their life, so they want comfort and not cute. It was a struggle for me to wear the right shoes at the parks before the race, but I did it. I wore Nike running shoes for the race and they were ok. When I came home I bought a pair of Brooks and then I regretted not getting a pair before I left to wear at the race. It was like walking in heaven! I love them! So my advice is to get smart shoes, not cute shoes! Your feet will thank me! Even in the parks, I wore my Nike’s and I think that is how I survived the race as much as I did. I have massive foot issues and it is a struggle! Always my biggest battle.
8. The Expo! This is where you drop off your waiver and pick up your bib. Not the greatest picture of us but here it is! Florida has a way of saying it will be hot and really it is 30 degrees! This day was so cold and windy! It was awful! In true Disney fashion, you have to walk 1,000 miles to get to where you need to go! So we were dropped off by transportation a mile away from where the bib pick up was. The expo was big and spread out. Bib pick up was in one place and expo was in another…typical Disney fashion! But this event has over 20,000 runners, so it made perfect sense. I am a sucker for swag, so it was a candy store for me, Carissa not so much! Things to remember…ALWAYS have a photo ID on you at all times where ever you go in Disney! You never know when you need it….like when you try to pick up your bib! Thankfully Carissa’s husband was able to send a picture of her passport or we would have had to walk the mile back to the bus, take the 25-minute drive back to the resort on a bus that ran on the 1/2 hour, walk a mile to our room and do the whole thing all over again. It made us almost decide not to run the race because the process would be so much to get it! But her hubby saved the day!!
9. Corral waits are long! You wake up, get ready and get amped up! You wait at the bus, get on the bus and get amped up! You get off the bus, get in line to head to the corrals and get amped up! You walk the 3 miles to your corral and everyone is amped up! Then you sit and wait an hour to start! It was so crazy! Never having run a race it was such a mix of emotions. I was high, I was low, I was tired, and I wanted to vomit because I was so nervous….oh and I had to pee! But it was a 3-mile walk back to the bathroom..not worth it! You were also FREEZING! I am so glad I made jackets for us to wear with our costumes!
10. Dig Deep! Stick your courage to the sticking place. Like I said already, we know I trained wrong and have bad feet. About a mile into it I got an awful leg cramp that would not let go. I wanted to stop there, but I pushed through. I continued to push until mile 9…then I quit. I was not sad about this. The balloon ladies came and I left. (Balloon ladies are the 16-minute mile pacers. If they get in front of you, you get swept from the race.) I wanted to finish but the idea of continuing was not possible. I was happy with how far I went and at that moment I decided I wouldn’t do this again and I was happy to get on the bus. I said I wouldn’t do it again, but as I came home and got back into things…I think I might do it again! I think I would enjoy the other parts of the races. I would love to do the 5K and the 10K. The first race ever was a 1/2 marathon…that was a little ambitious.
I always enjoy spending time with Carissa and every time we do something it is ALWAYS an adventure! Someday we will just sit on a beach for a vacation, but until then we will do these crazy things!
11. Travel more! I am a homebody and I do love it! I like being home and relaxing. I like my couch, my bed and my dog. So being home is great. But I do also enjoying traveling. So whether is it local or far. There will be more trips this year for sure!
12. Sit on a beach for a vacation! That is right! This pale Irish girl wants to sit on a beach for a few days somewhere! This past year all of my vacations consisted of either being with a friend and their kids or traveling to see a friend and their kids! Now I LOVE my friends and I LOVE seeing their kids! But sometimes a vacation needs to be a time where you get to sit and do NOTHING and I believe that should be a on a beach somewhere! That is on my list of things to do…sit on a beach for at least 3 days!
13. Take the Summer Intensive Class with Art Emotion: in Salt Lake City or Cleveland in summer 2021. I have to say 2021 because it takes some planning to get that together. It is at the end of the school year and during recital season so I need to reschedule some things for the following year. But I have wanted to go for a few years now and can’t wait!
14. Visit 3 New England Must See Places. I have lived in New England most my life and I have never seen some places like…Martha’s Vineyard or Block Island. So I will make a New England Bucket List and explore!
15. Learn How to Cross-Stitch. This list makes me feel more and more like an old lady, but it would still be a fun task to learn. I mean…aren’t we always just spending our time preparing to be old?
16. Take a Hand Lettering Class. I would love to be able to do some fancy hand lettering and will take a workshop to make everything I write look oh so pretty!
17. Play Bingo in a Bingo Hall. So silly, but I drive by a church who dies it constantly and when I was doing research into items to do this year this one made me smile! So Bingo with the old ladies it is!
18. See a show on Broadway this year! I would love to see another show on the Great White Way! My plan is to see the Music Man after it opens this year!
I want to leave the last 2 open for inspiration sake! If something beckons me, I want to be open to it!
I can’t believe it is 2020 and I am sitting here again and thinking about all the things I want to do or think I should do in the year to come. New year, new decade and everyone always thinks…it’s time for a new me! I am kinda a fan of the old me or at least I’m a fan of the current me. So in 2020, I will not become a new me, but instead I will continue to become more awesome. So in the tradition of the lists I have made in the past like 30 in 30 or 32 in 32 (I am getting too old and the numbers are getting too high). I will instead make a 20 in 20 list!
20 new chances to accomplish 20 new things or just get better at the things I can do now! So without further due…. 20 in 20!! Well, the first 10 of the 20!
Figure out how to make this blog work! I have skills but not a whole lot of them. So to youtube a go to learn how to make this blog work better! You’re welcome!
Start to listen to at least 2 new podcasts! I know what you are thinking “Brandie Lee, podcasts aren’t new, you old lady!” I know that they are not new, but I never really listen to them. I found a new podcast before the new year and it has me excited to start listening to it. It is called “Call Me Cordelia”, obviously it is about Anne of Green Gables! So excited!
Run a 1/2 Marathon…and try not to die a little! One of my BFF’s and I are running the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon in February 2020. 1. I don’t run and 2. I don’t run, So 3. I’m in big trouble! It has always been on my list of things I want to do and there is no time like the present. I will update on the process and the funeral arrangements if necessary.
Start and finish my Master’s degree! That’s right you read it correctly, I am going to start and finish my Master’s degree this year. It is part of my 5 year plan…so let’s get cracking!
Learn a new craft! You know me! I love to craft and I LOVE to learn new things. I am very interested in some small woodworking lately. I am doing some research into a small project to start with…stay posted!
Pay off debt! (Except student loans…lets be honest I will be paying for those till I die!) I would also like to make a big dent into my car pay off too!
Learn to cook! I know that I have a few staple meals I can cook, you know if someone has a baby or there is a potluck. But I would like to learn to cook a few more dishes that require me to branch out into a new cooking world and expand my palate more!
Golf! I was blessed to learn at the right hand of an awesome golfer this summer, Joe Burke! My plan is to grow in this area more and actually learn to plan a whole game and decide if I like it. If I do…let’s play! If I don’t….that’s cool let’s move on!
Spend more time with my family! I love my family and my goal is to spend more time with them. I would like to have some more dinners and adventures with them for sure!
Train the dog! Finn the Wonder Pup is my bestest thing! I am a crazy dog mom and I am not ashamed of that! But I would like him to be a better dog. I would like him to be better trained, so Finn and I will work harder on becoming a better dog this year.